Hi,

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 01:09:09AM -0300, Bastián Díaz wrote:

IBM SPSS (*.sav*.zsav files) - This type of files no public specification available, there is a
great project pert intended as a free replacement for SPSS and contains a program that can read
and create files of this type.http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/pspp/

Stata (*.dta files) -file spechttp://www.stata.com/help.cgi?dta

Test files:https://github.com/bedf/PSPP-dev-utilities/tree/master/data-files

I understand that this project is different from LibreOffice,

Document Liberation Project _is not_ LibreOffice :-) They are just siblings.
There is not even any rule that every library we produce must be used by
LibreOffice...

but this may be one of the software benefit from the idea. The file type presented fairly meet
the guidelines of the project, so I'd like to know what the developers say, in addition to
reporting improvement in LibreOffice.

Is there at least a chance that the files can reasonably be imported as
spreadsheets? I do not know statistical software in general, so I have no
idea what sorts of data relations, special functions etc. could be saved in
the files. These would likely be "lost in translation".

Anyway, since there already is a project that can import the file format, it
would seem preferable to try to convince them to release the import code as a
separate library. (It would still be possible to write a librevenge-based
wrapper around that library, if there were anyone interested to do it. And it
would be much simpler than writing a whole parser from scratch.)

D.