Hi J.B.,

Those are some good suggestions -- thanks. I'll put them on the todo list!

Mike

On 18.06.2016 01:27, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
Mike Saunders wrote:
Any other feedback welcome!

I suggest the following:

- place the entire website behind HTTPS and adding
documentliberation.org and *.documentliberation.org to the current
certificate's set of supported domains (the Certificate Subject Alt
Name). If you need a gratis certificate, consider using Let's Encrypt
certificates because they're gratis and they offer an API that lets
websites automatically handle renewals. Right now the certificate I
get for https://www.documentliberation.org/ is a certificate for
documentfoundation.org, *.documentfoundation.org, and
www.documentfoundation.org.

- use HTML5's video element with a WebM version of the video stored on
the same server as the website.

- Make it easy to know exactly how one can contribute documents and
rendered images so people can upload documents. For instance, I have a
stash of documents in formats used by older computers (such as
Commodore 64 word processors) which, in my spare time, I'm working on
converting into something modern for my own continued use.

For the last 2 suggestions I'm assuming DLP already has a cache of
documents in a variety of formats, perhaps even with images to show
how the document is properly rendered. I'm also assuming DLP is
interested in collecting useful sample documents in formats people
want to convert from alongside an image (say, a PNG) showing what that
document looks like when properly rendered. I'm making these
assumptions because it's easier to talk about the next suggestions
with this assumption rather than going back and forth with DLP about
this document cache. If I'm wrong in this assumption, consider adding
such a cache to be another suggestion.

- make this document cache read-only to all from the DLP website. A
link to a hierarchy of directories would be fine for this, no need for
a fancy presentation selector or anything like that. Please do not
host this on a site that requires Javascript, subscription, nor should
you host with a known spying agency (such as Microsoft, Google, etc.).
If you need space to host this consider using archive.org;
archive.org's resources are available to all gratis and require no
Javascript to link to, download from, or get people to a directory.

- Make it easy to know what DLP wants of contributors -- ideally
there's a sample document, image showing proper rendering,
documentation, and sample code in the preferred programming language,
using the preferred API, and licensed with an acceptable free software
license DLP wants.

Thanks for DLP and all of your hard work.