Re: [documentliberation-discuss] Library for colour palette formats?

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 02:07:37PM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Monday, October 06, 2014 06:12:29 AM Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> > Hello Document Liberators,
> >

> > During a conference in Switzerland (http://swiss-publishing-week.ch/) I was
> > asked by pre-press professionals if open source graphics programmes support
> > "Pantone colours". As you may imagine, this required a complicated answer,
> > because the question was already wrong. The correct question would've been:
> > Do they support colour palette formats that contain the colour values and
> > names, as well as the colour models (RGB, CMYK, spot, CIE L*a*b*). So the
> > answer was that some programs support some formats, and some support the
> > relevant colour models, but on Windows and *nix (except Mac OS X) you can
> > use SwatchBooker to convert them (http://www.selapa.net/swatchbooker/) into
> > the necessary formats. Since most of them use Mac OS that wasn't an
> > encouraging answer to them.
> >

> > Hence my idea to create a library which allows FLOSS programs to read these
> > formats. Swatchbooker's author, Olivier Berten, has already documented most
> > of them, so no re-engineering would be required. See:
> > http://www.selapa.net/swatches/colors/fileformats.php A few less important
> > formats are still missing, and I have sample files for them.
> >

> > Since SwatchBooker is written Python and licensed under the GPL 3, it's not
> > possible to reuse any code, but it's possible to look at the code (and
> > Swatchbooker itself) to see what's required (colour management and CIE
> > L*a*b* support, among others). I'm no coder myself, but since I'm talking
> > about extremely simple formats, I think an experienced programmer might be
> > able to create something useable in a very short timeframe.
> >

> > Such a library would help users who want to switch to Free alternatives
> > carry their Pantone, HKS, whatever, palettes over to the new software.
> >

> > Anyone interested?
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Christoph
>
> The paint program Krita, which is part of the Calligra suite, supports all of
> these color models (afaik) and many many more. This is supported by the
> Pigment library that you can look at here:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=calligra.git&a=tree&h=6a06ba79d7ab5593931a29c98f21b98259b8ec6d&hb=a73d1228e5fbebdf8cb833c480a26ec22c026777&f=libs%2Fpigment
>
> Some documentation can be found here.
> https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Libs/Pigment
>
> Please use and improve this and don't create an incompatible new library.

Pigment is entirely irrelevant here, because the question was about parsing
various color pallete file formats, not color space transformations. AFAICS
Pigment does not do that. Also:

1. Pigment is a part of Calligra. AFAICS it cannot even be built separately
-> not usable for other projects.
2. Pigment depends on Qt -> not really usable for projects that are not
already built using Qt (especially for multiplatform ones -- noone is
going to bundle Qt in Windows and OS X builds just as a dependency for
an external library).

D.