hi all
My name is Kendell clark. I'm an active open source contributor and active on
http://www.linux-a11y.org. In short, our mission is to make linux accessibility easy, both for
users and for developers. We have a long way to go, but that's not why I subscribed to this mailing
list. I'm al for liberating documents out of proprietary file formats and my case is a good example
of proprietary formats. I'm writing to see if anyone is interested in helping to create a library
for working with the "daisy" digital accessible information system, format. It's not exactly
proprietary, since it is documented, and has specs, available at
http://www.daisy.org/specifications, but it is not much used, and when it is used, it is used
almost exclusively by proprietary addaptive applications for reading the daisy format, such as fs
reader, which is part of the "job access with speech", hor jaws, screen reader for microsoft
windows. There are two different versions of the standard, both completely different from one
another. Daisy 2.02, which is the oldest, and daisy 3.0, which is the newest. Now daisy has largely
been succeeded by the open epub standard, but popular book sites for the visually impaired still
use the legacy format, although they do offer epub formats. I would like to work on a libarary,
maybe called libdaisy, to convert daisy files into open formats. There was at one point, an
odt2daisy addon for libreoffice which could do this but it is no longer maintained and I do not
believe was open source, although I could be wrong about that. There is one caveat to daisy and
that is that there is optional drm, digital rights management, built inot the spec. The definition
of this support is so vague as to provide a skeleton framework for the drm without defining any
specific methods for drm, probably so companies can each develop their own, completely
incompatible, drm frameworks. The one saving grace is that the daisy 3 spec shares a lot of code
with the epub spec. They even use some of the same xml tags, so adding daisy 3 support shouldn't be
too hard. Daisy 2 is a completely different animal and uses  html, along with smil, simple
multimedia integration language I believe it stands for. Now I am completely new to contributing to
you guys, so I am not at all familiar with the tools you guys use, or even whether they are
accessible. I cannot directly write computer code, but I can provide specifications, sample
documents, and information about the formats I'm interested in if that would be helpful. There is a
desperate need for daisy support in open source software because linux currently has a handful of
daisy readers, most of which are abandoned long ago. There is one active daisy reader, but it is
command line only and only plays the older daisy 2 format, and then only from cd. I also forgot to
mention that the daisy 2 and daisy 3 file spec also has support for audio files, wav or mp3 file
formats only. Is anyone interested?
Thanks
Kendell Clark
--
Open source is much more than just a license. It is a community. It is freedom personified. It is a
community of people exercising their god given rights to use, study, modify, and share software and